Complete Your Streets—and Bring Back the Good Life
Hosted by the Kearney Active Living Complete Streets Team and Cycle/Walk Kearney
Date/Time: Friday, March 2, 1pm-5pm
Location: University of Nebraska Kearney Ockinga Seminar Center Conference Room
Cost/Registration: FREE! Preregistration required. Click here to register.
Complete Streets are streets for everyone. They are designed to enable safe access for all users, including pedestrians, bicyclists of all ages and abilities. Complete Streets make it easy to cross the street, walk to shops, and bicycle to work. Even targeted improvements and policies for walkability can significantly improve quality of life, mobility, and safety in small communities.
Join Julie Harris of the Nebraska Bicycle Alliance and Jeremy Grandstaff of the Nebraska Walkable Communities Initiative for this must attend training, as we:
- Gain a fuller understanding of the concepts and value of complete streets as well as how other communities of similar size and demographics have implemented and benefited from such policies , including rural examples;
- Develop the process that Kearney can use to create a complete streets policy in the next 12-18 months; and,
- Network with other local community, government, and economic leaders and others from across the state at this unique learning opportunity developed just for Nebraskans
Light Snacks, coffee, tea, and water will be provided. Please note this event is FREE. We will take a walk as part of this training… come prepared!
Who should come
This training is geared to support the work of the Nebraska Walkable Communities Initiative; however this is a public training and all are welcome. Whether you are a city leader, bike/ped advocate, developer, business leader, school leader, parent, or even a resident who is interested in making your community a better place to work, live, and play, this training will give you the knowledge you need to better plan for and implement complete streets in your community.
1:00 – Welcome and overview
1:10 – Complete Streets- The What, Why, and How—presentation and Q&A to gain a fuller understanding of complete streets, the benefits it brings to like communities, and how others in similar communities have passed and implemented complete streets policies and campaigns.
2:20 – Walking for Impacts- to gain real-life experience and exposure around what a complete streets policy could do for our region. (Walking activity)
3:10 – Creating the Right Approach complete your streets-collaborative activity to help you assess the opportunities and to identify how your city can create, pass, and/or implement complete streets in your community. (Custom designed based on attendees and their needs, questions discussed could include):
- What do we want overall from a strong complete streets policy?
- What should we do to educate and raise awareness needed to secure such a policy?
- What language do we need to most effectively secure passage of such a policy?
- What other actions do we need to take to ensure we are successful?
4:45 – Wrapping up, What’s next, and Evaluation